Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rainy days...

Last day of class


The weather in Oldenburg can be, in many ways, quite unpredictable. One moment the sun will be shining with blue skies all around and the next dark, heavy clouds will be looming over you threatening to take away the warm atmosphere. In one hour, it is very possible to experience windy, sunny, snowy, cloudy then back to sunny conditions. Nevertheless, there is one weather condition that is very dependable...rain. Rain falls on Oldenburg almost everyday; a phenomenon I have not really ever experienced in Wyoming. Evidence of the vast amounts of moisture can be found in every corner from the city: the thin green layers over trees, fences, paths and houses as well as the small ditches filled with murky water running along roads and walkways that are always full. Although the rain is evidently the reason for the always green lawns and fairytale like atmosphere, it also poses the threat of ruining a perfectly productive day...such as today. Rather than riding my bike around town, sending out some postcards, doing a little wandering in the city center, and other random activities I had planned for today, I have been sitting in my room observing the monsoon happening just outside my window (I have learned that riding one's bike in the rain is not exactly the most comfortable or worthwhile experience). Bored out of mind, I have looked through almost every picture on my computer, surfed the Internet, watched numerous (hilarious) YouTube films, and reorganized my room. However, this has also provided me with a little time to write about some random aspects of my stay that I have previously ignored...


The buddy program is actually one of the reasons I chose to come to Oldenburg over the other offered universities in Germany. It is a program in which international students are matched with Oldenburg students (affectionately called "buddies) in order to help with transitioning into life at Oldenburg. Your "buddy" will meet you when you first arrive in Oldenburg to give you your keys to your Wohnheim, to help go over your contract agreement, and to answer questions you may have. I, as well as Kelly, happened to receive the most AMAZING buddies. They fulfilled their initial duties, and so much more including registering us with the city, bringing us around Oldenburg, giving us directions, riding buses with us (to make sure we get to the right place), and so much more. They have both become some of our best friends here in Oldenburg.


Kelly and I have just finished a three week intensive language course, which has greatly improved my Deutsch-speaking abilities! We attended class Monday through Friday for four and a half hours a day. Although speaking and listening to that much of a foreign language can be extremely exhausting, it was all worth it. Our classmates and our professors were amazing and so much fun...and quite international. There were students from Italy, Spain, the Czech Republic, Poland, and more. On the last day of class we all had a small party with singing, dancing and amazing Kirschekuchen. And with all of our new language abilities, Kelly and I can now converse casually in German for a whole conversation.


Probably one of the most frustrating aspect of my study abroad experience thus far has been money. Not only is the euro much more valuable than the dollar (meaning that I lose money with each conversion), but getting the money here has also provided quite the obstacle. After setting up an account with the Landessparkasse bank, I had my mother wire-transfer a substantial amount of funds from my home bank account. After a week of not receiving this money in my account, my mother chose to call my home bank to track the money and discovered that someone along the way had typed in the wrong number, meaning that the money was, after all, not actually going into my account. After re-routing the money, I was told that it would still be another week before the money would be account. In the meanwhile, I have frequented the ATM for cash, and ended up paying a 5$ fee each time. Just a little frustrating...


Oldenburg has many hidden treasures which have quickly become favorite places to frequent. One of my favorite places is the city center. Granted, this is in no way "hidden"; however, there are many small areas where I would call little treasures. One particular place is a small "garden" type area. Through a narrow hallway off one of the main roads, lays a quiet little area with ivy and flowers over all the brick walls and a little bench. There is also Bar Celona (restaurant and cafe), which has amazing loose leaf tea and wonderful Kuchen (cake). There is also, of course, the farmer's markets which I love to visit just to absorb the smells and colors of fresh flowers, fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade cheeses, and more treats for the senses. The park which Kelly and I walk or ride through each day on our way to school is also a favorite. I feel each time that I have entered a fairytale forest and at any moment a little fairy is going to pop out, wings and all. I suppose it's the small things here that seem so wondrous to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment